[600MRG] Testing Results

John Molnar wa3etd at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:39:01 CDT 2013

All,
I have been conducting various RX tests with several Vermont stations.
Fritz Raab is transmitting daily, during peak D-Layer periods, and today
Brian WG2XPJ joined the activity.  Without detailed analysis of the
captured audio and Spectran shots, both stations, within 15 miles of each
other and both essentially north of WG2XKA, exhibit similiar signal
strength during the day with totally different antenna systems.  Brian
Pease, XPJ, is employing a low, resonant horizontal dipole while Dr. Raab
is using a classic short vertical. Output power is ~75W to feedline in both
cases.  I am using a 5' shielded, preamped loop at 30', splitting the
heading of both stations.

After dark, XPJ's skywave signal is at least 11 dB better than durnig the
noontime hours.

Clearly there is significant analysis that needs to be done at the
conclusion of the experiment.  I am logging all conditions daily as well as
full one hour audio clips of the transmissions.  Good time to be on the
band!

Two Spectran captures are attached: the first today at midday, the second
is XPJ this evening, about 1 hour afgter dark, EDT.  Fritz is on the right
hand trace of shot #1.

John WG2XKA