[600MRG] modified MFJ Antenna analyzer failure

pehamel pehamel at cableone.net
Thu Mar 21 08:43:21 CDT 2013

John,
First, email mfjcustserv at mfjenterprises.com I believe that they will repair
the detector.
I have asked them if they will do the mod for me, or make a kit, but I
believe they are working on an improved model instead.

I repaired (not modified) the heathkit HM-102, the problem was that the 50
year old composition resistors had changed value.
When I put in resistors of the right value, the original toroid pickup
calibrated.
The internal calibration is actually a resistance bridge switched in to set
the meter pots.

I have an MFJ cross-needle meter in line. It reads wrong (absolute power),
but the reflected reading null matches what the Autek tells me.
Do not use an MFJ 815B. The RF sensor in the "B" model RF sensor uses two
toroids, not the toroid and capacitance pair circuit.
The second toroid is across the line. Mine got hot enough to melt the
plastic wire insulation. I now have an 815C sensor inside the case.

Last night my own SWR went to infinity, I will need to go outside and see
what happened.
As usual, there is always the possibility that some critter got hungry for
feedline. (Spring is here in south Mississippi).

Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6
w5tht at arrl.net
Unhappy tubes blush, unhappy power FETs scatter plastic loudly