[600MRG] The "filters" in Spectrum Lab

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 21:33:26 CDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 20:03 -0600, Neil Klagge wrote:
> I have been learning Spectrum Lab for CW, and qrss. I want to use the built
> in filter but it does not work at all. It has no effect when I click on
> APPLY after setting it up.
>
> I have it on a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of RAM so it should be
> sufficient for the program.
>
> Has anyone been able to see any results from trying to use the filter ???
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Neil Klagge
> w0yse/7 in Utah

Hi Neil,

It does work. I fed my receiver audio through it and it stripped away a
lot of noise and qrm. *HOWEVER* There was a high pitched squeal. I
couldn't tolerate listening to it for more than a few minutes. If it
would work without making that sound it would be great.

So then..

I enquired a little about that. It is probably an artifact of my *very
cheap* sound card. It is also probable that I have misconfigured
something. There seem to be a lot of little bits and pieces to Spectrum
Lab. I have only just started to sort it out. In order to do that I am
going to learn some new words so I can make sense of what the directions
are saying. How thick would be a hard copy of that manual? Thicker than
my skull? In the old days of tractor feed, fanfold paper I might guess
at a couple of miles. Once I have a clear picture of just what each bit
does and how they may be interconnected it will probably be pretty
useful. At the moment it's a big headache. I got a real spectrum
analyzer running and giving me useful info in less than a day Actually
about ten minutes. So it probably isn't ALL me. Is there a web site
"Spectrum Lab for Dummies"?

73,

Bill  KU8H