[600MRG] How tough are your tubes?

Brian, WA1ZMS wa1zms at att.net
Sat Jan 26 13:07:38 CST 2013

No doubt..... "Vacuum Power FETs with Internal Pilot Lights" are tough!

I design SSPAs at work. And built a water cooled 144MHz legal limit
2m amp with a pair of the latest Freescale devices.  They claim 65:1 SWR as
the upper limit, but the little secret is that is it's for pulse mode and
not for
CW. Same for NXP's latest BLF578XR.

But as an old FAA engineer once told me 30 yrs ago: "No matter which one
came first,
there would be good applications for both types when viewed from
the full world of RF."

I think he had a good point.  Not sure how I'd fit a 12AX7 into my iPad!
hi...hi....

Now THERE'S a potential snake-oil market!

-Brian, WA1ZMS