[600MRG] Flex-5000A or Flex-1500

Eric Tichansky no3m at no3m.net
Mon Jan 21 18:21:40 CST 2013

A few observations I've made over the course of several weeks using a
Flex1500.

The primary reason I decided on a Flex1500 was the ability to use an
external 10MHz reference (ie. GPSDO).  Prior to having the Flex1500, I
used my Elecraft K3 w/ transverter.  The transverter LO is 10MHz from
the GPSDO source, the K3 also has the K3EXREF 10 MHz reference module,
also sourced from the GPSDO.  The problem with the K3 is that the
K3EXREF leaves much to be desired and is a rather poor implementation of
a reference.  When running QRSS at the 2200M watering hole, the K3 would
jump around 1 Hz periodically.  That is quite unacceptable when other
stations are 0.5 Hz apart and you end up landing right over top of
someone.  The accuracy is also not so great; I always had to compensate
for the absolute frequency error by adjusting the audio tone in Spectrum
Lab when running QRSS.  The Flex1500 has no such problem, keeps
consistent stability and accuracy (always around 30 mHz) when sourced
form the external reference.

However, the K3 seems to have the more desirable receiver.  With both
the K3 and Flex1500 receiving through the same transverter (and
obviously the same antenna) using a magic-T splitter, the K3 resolved
XPQ in Alaska much better than the Flex (per comparison of Argo
captures).  I also found copying XIQ during a CW QSO where he was
starting to fade out was much better on the K3.  However, my Flex1500 is
monitoring WSPR-15 on 136 kHz now, decoded DK7FC, so I suppose the
Flex's RX isn't that bad.  A more subjective test would be in order to
really give a purposeful evaluation.

The Flex was a PITA regarding a USB triggered problem that would trash
the audio chain, emitting loud noise or a high pitched whining until it
was power cycled.  The resolution was to insert a USB hub between the
Flex1500 and PC.  I suppose this is my PCs fault, crummy USB, despite
being a reasonably good PC.  There are also occasions when the audio
blips, making unattractive traces on QRSS in Argo, but that's probably
nit picking.

I have not tested the Flex w/o the transverter yet other than a quick
test w/ RX.  It will run natively on 630M, but needs an LPF to block
BCI, otherwise, the band is covered in IMD, et.al.

In the next day or so, I will be testing a Genesis Radio G11.  They are
now offering it for 600M.  10W output, no transverter needed.  It looked
interesting enough to try.  it uses a port of PowerSDR called GSDR.
There is no method of locking to a reference, so it is more of a general
purpose rig, but should suit fine even for WSPR, JT9-X, etc.  Not overly
excited about the fact it's SDR based on anomolies w/ the Flex, but
maybe I'll be surprised.

73 - Eric NO3M, WG2XJM