[600MRG] FreeDV: Digital Voice for HF

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Wed Jan 16 02:06:51 CST 2013

There was some discussion about bandwidth on one of the lists I subscribe
to, perhaps the ARRL 500 kHz list, but I believe this needs a wider
audience, so I post this here as it will go to WB2XSH stations also.

Interesting development. SEE BELOW.

73

David N1EA
WD2XSH/18

++++
-----------------
Date: Jan 15, 2013 6:02 PM

http://freedv.org/tiki-index.php

FreeDV is a GUI application for Windows and Linux (MacOS and BSD are in
testing) that allows any SSB radio to be used for low bit rate digital
voice.

Speech is compressed down to 1400 bit/s then modulated onto a 1100 Hz wide
QPSK signal which is sent to the Mic input of a SSB radio. On receive, the
signal is received by the SSB radio, then demodulated and decoded by FreeDV.

FreeDV was built by an international team of Radio Amateurs working
together on coding, design, user interface and testing. FreeDV is open
source software, released under the GNU Public License version 2.1. The
FDMDV modem and Codec 2 Speech codec used in FreeDV are also open source.

Details also here:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/01/15/031232/codec2-project-asks-fcc-to-modernize-regulations

Codec2 Project Asks FCC To Modernize Regulations