[600MRG] WD2XSH/12 Lightning Experience

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Mon Feb 25 08:23:19 CST 2013

I ran my WSPR beacon through many lightning storms over the past six years until last summer. My TA33 beam on top of the same tower supporting the 600m antenna took a direct hit. I was sitting next to the rig when it happened. The 600m PA, transmit/receive converter, TR switch and antenna survived the hit with no damage. However all of the equipment attached to the LAN ethernet cable (two computers, K2 transceiver that was connected to one of the computers, antenna positioner power supply, telephone equipment and several surge protected power strips, LAN router, etc) did not survive the hit.

I've found that collateral damage from lightning events can be difficult to predict and prevent. If you have a simple stand alone system with few interfaces to peripheral equipment, you have better odds of surviving unscathed.

By the way, my 600m antenna consists of a 385 foot long inverted L with an L-network at the base of the tower and several ground rods and a radial counterpoise system beneath the tower and antenna. The wire is at DC ground potential via the inductor in the L network. An RF ammeter (thermocouple type) in the antenna system also survived the hit; it has a knife switch across its terminals to protect it when no measurements are being made.

73
Mike
AI8Z
WD2XSH/12