[600MRG] WD2XSH/7 is back to normal...

Ralph Hartwell w5jgv at w5jgv.com
Fri Feb 15 23:14:54 CST 2013

... Thanks to Pat, W5THT - WD2XSH/6 who kindly shipped me several
replacement OD3/VR-150 tubes for my 4-400A amplifier.

After replacing the temporary VR tubes I had installed, the screen voltage
is now back up to a full 600 volts. The grid drive needed is now back to
normal so that the amplifier now easily makes power without straining the
exciter. That means the distortion is also less, and the signal is a bit
cleaner on the air (or at least before the output band pass filter, anyway.)

-----

Yesterday I had to drive downstate for the funeral of one of my first
cousins. On the way down there and back, I took the opportunity to listen to
the WD2XSH/7 beacon signal with my mobile gear.  I have a Yaesu FT-747GX
installed in the van, along with a choice of whip antennas I can change out
as needed.

I listened to the beacon using a single band helical loaded 40 meter whip
that is about 9 feet long. (My favorite mobile antenna is an old 1965
Webster Band Spanner antenna, but it's a bit long and has a high wind load
factor so that at highway speeds it is more horizontal than vertical. It
also does not like trees and low underpasses.) I use the Band Spanner when I
am parked.

The signal from the beacon was Q5 and clearly copyable by ear while driving
as far as 110 miles from the transmitter site. After I arrived at my
destination (~175 miles distant,) I found that I could just barely detect
the signal, but it was not readable by ear. After dark the signal came up to
a copyable by ear level. All this was in the absence of any thunderstorms.

My daughter, Cat, KC5CAH, was at the home QTH so she could keep an eye/ear
on the TX and shut it down in case of any problems.

Ralph
W5JGV - WD2XSH/7