[600MRG] restoring old crystals ??

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Tue Feb 5 18:11:00 CST 2013

Ken is correct on all counts,  I have activated many old xtals
by cleaning the blanks and careful reassembly, all that was
need was good alcohol bath,   not rubbing alcohol but the
potent stuff from the pharmacy usually.  Do not touch the xtal
after cleaning, use "tongs" or something hold the edges and
put it back in the clean case.   Have had almost all bad ones
come back to life.   You will change the freq if you use acid
or any other "grinding" method.  I assume you want them to
stay on freq.
If grinding buffing compound mixed with water to a paste
works well,  comes in many grits,  a piece of flat plate
glass works as a bed.  the surface has to be perfectly flat
or the xtal is ruined as you grind.
GL   73 Merv K9FD/KH6