[600MRG] WSPR-15

Claude Baker ac0zl at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 17:06:13 CST 2013

Jay, Rudy,

It turns out it doesn't work for me at the moment. I use a "modern" transceiver Icom IC-7200. All information moves between the computer and transceiver via a USB cable.

I found that the standard WSPR app, V2.11_r2263, exits when it attempts to transmit while WSPR-X, v0.8_r3058, is transmitting. Next attempt will involve installing an additional copy of WSPR-X with a different name and see what happens.

Jay - I considered your concerns and there may be some intermods but I expect very low level. As I conceive the system, I'm simply putting audio into the mike input of an SSB transmitter and I'm asking a 100 watt transmitter to put out 1 to 2 watts. The transmitter has a digital control for setting output power, but, from an external power/swr meter I find that the setting is not very accurate - varies by band. Again, using digital transmitter controls, I control the audio level to bring power output down to where I want it.

Also, the way I conceived the two data streams going to the sound card, the audio signals are not mixed in the RF sense, they are simply summed before going to the modulator.

I found that with both WSPR and WSPR-X running, either would change the frequency of the transceiver but WSPR wouldn't cooperate on transmitting. I see a need to write some software coming up.

I rarely exceed 10 watts output for anything because my only antenna is an 8'x13' loop on the wall about 8' behind me. I was just licensed early last year and my first transmissions of SSB caused several problems, punched through output capacitors in the entertainment system audio amp (they self-healed after a few days), killed part of the bathroom scale display, and had to reboot the garage door opener to get the car out of the garage. I'm strongly motivated toward QRSS for obvious reasons.

Why am I using an indoor antenna? - HOA.

More tales to follow.

Claude Baker, AC0ZL