[600MRG] WG2XIQ running U3 on WSPR2 around 475.642 at around

Hans Summers hans.summers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 21:34:57 CST 2013

Hi John

>Tonight I have to figure out how to add a leading space to
>the CW ID since the callsign is already max length.? at the
>moment it is running into the end of the WSPR transmission.
>If you know the answer, please let me know!

That's a good question! Since CW ID reads from the Callsign parameter, but
you can't change that because it's used by WSPR whose callsign format is
fixed, and since the Mode 1 transmission immediately follows the Mode 0
transmission (which you set to WSPR), at first sight, you have a problem!

However I can think of two ways you can get a small pause between the WSPR
and CW ID transmissions, assuming that all you want to do is send WSPR mode
only, followed by a CW ID.

First idea: put the CW ID in Mode 2. In Mode 1 put DFCW, and enter a single
space character as the "Message" setting, then set the Speed to 001 (one
second). This will transmit a space (nothing at all) of duration 1 second,
plus one third of a second inter-symbol gap, as Mode 1 straight after WSPR.
And then send the CW ID. I the no that should work.

Second idea: don't use CW ID mode as the Mode 1 setting! Instead, use CW
mode and set the speed to 012. This will achieve the same transmission mode
exactly (as CW ID), the only difference will be that the transmission will
send the contents of the Message parameter, not the callsign parameter!
Which is great, because that frees you to put whatever you like in the
Message setting,you aren't constrained by WSPR's call sign format
requirements. Specifically, you can have your call sign, prefixed by your
desired space! Job done!

Either of these ideas *should* do it, but I think I'd tend to try the
second one.

Worth noting that in the forthcoming v3.02 version,which will permit
sequencing up to 6 bands with the relay-switched LPF kit
http://www.hanssummers.com/ultimatelpf , there will be a third method too,
which will be to put CW ID as the first transmission mode. This is because
v3.02 removes the restriction that WSPR can only be in Mode 0, because of
the timing requirement. In v3.02 there will be 16 mode/band/frequency/power
settings, and you can put WSPR in any or all of them, it will always wait
for the 2nd second of the next even minute, to start the WSPR transmission.
So putting CW ID first and WSPR second will work OK in v3.02.

Then of course we mustn't forget the fourth option, which I suspect is the
one adopted by most people: abandon the whole idea of sending a CW ID at
all!

73 Hans G0UPL
Http://www.hanssummers.com/kits